If you are new to Gardening and interested in growing your own vegetable garden, this is the article for you. In this article I have listed 5 plants which are suitable for novice gardeners. These are hardy plants and can tolerate some level of beginner mistakes. These are also great plants for your kids to try their hand in gardening (and playing in the dirt as well).
In additional to being a fun experience, these vegetables will give your family the harvest which is one of the satisfying feelings – who doesn’t like eating the harvest from their own garden. If you have used organic means to grow your garden, you will know for sure that the food is organic – because you grew it.
The veggies I have shared are based on my experience growing them in containers over my patio garden. This will be a good start for hobby gardeners who are looking forward to spring to get into gardening.
- Lettuce : A leafy vegetable and a cold season crop. Easy to grow with minimal maintenance. Plus you don’t have to run to the supermarket to buy Lettuce for your Salads. Read my 3 minute overview on Lettuce in this link.
- Beetroot : Root vegetable which normally comes in shades of red. The leaves are also edible. Generally used in Salads and Smoothies for their color and taste.
- Beans : Beans loves the sun. There are many varieties of beans available. Generally used in Salads, Chilies, baking and lots of Asian cuisine. Check out my Beans overview in this link.
- Kale / Spinach : A leafy vegetable and also a cold season crop. Used in Salads, Sauteed and Smoothies. Rich in fiber.
- Radish : Root vegetable and comes in many shapes and colors. Generally a short term crop and easy to grow. Radish likes the cold weather.
I will add to links of any new article I post on the above plants.
What are your favorite beginner garden vegetables? Let me know in comments.